Tuesday 8 November 2011

OutPost – The world’s graffiti community gets together to put on a show. Cockatoo island style!


I could think of worse ways to spend my sunny Saturdays. And even worse ways to head to the newly opened Graffiti exhibit on Cockatoo Island via ferry.

Last time I headed to the island of Cockatoo, I went to the Biennale exhibition which had loads of awesome installations, mind blowing some of them actually! That was certainly going to be a hard one to beat.

This time around though the artistry is only part of what the island has to offer - with DJ’s, entertainment, badge making?! (not sure about that one), skateboarding and a couple of snazzy bars with the Sydney backdrop at your feet - you do feel rather at home pretty quickly.

You can camp over night here which is also pretty cool - on the boat over I nearly had my head taken off a few times, or my footing misplaced for fear of some little bastard kid carrying around camping gear for his mother and father. I'm all for dog collars and leads on these little people. 

The cool kids are here too sipping on sparkling wine with the odd Corona staring out towards the harbour from what they’ve decided to call the island bar.

Back to the art though - it’s nothing special. Don’t get me wrong, there really is some impressive work here! But once you’ve been into one area and the next, you tend to get the picture people.

Art though is a subjective little thing and I’m sure you could end up perusing the various warehouses full of work for hours, not I though thank you.

Some Banksy work is also here though. Handed over by a collector for the duration of the show, which is always nice to look at. In comparison to all the other works you can certainly see why the man is as popular as he is!

Overall though, nice atmosphere, a few pretty pictures & on a nice day you can smash a few beers on the grass while the barman persistently switched tracks on the sound system because he can’t make his mind up whether he wants Marvin Gaye or the Red Hot Chilli Peppers on. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment